Thursday, March 25, 2010

Let's Nosh!

I can't decide whether to pull out paper scraps & scissors or a frying pan first. This past three weeks these books--"Let's Nosh!", "Yum, Yum, Dim Sum" and "First Book of Sushi", all by Amy Wilson Sanger--have been my favorites for snuggling and reading, and for studying on my own.


They're part of Sanger's "World Snacks" series, and along with exposing little ones (they're all board books, horray!) to many foods, and bouncing along with cute, rhymes, the illustrations are detailed, clever paper sculpture/collages of each dish. And often the foods are shown as babies see them--filling sippy cups or sitting on high chair trays.


Avocado slices preped for sushi rolls, paper wrappers around dumplings, and my favorite, lox on bagels. Clever and mouthwatering.

The collages remind me of the play food that kids in an after-school program I once worked at would make from construction paper. I remember egg rolls, where the kids would carefully cut out all of the ingredients, wrap them in brown paper and fasten with tape. In the end you only saw the outside, but they knew they had made their egg rolls the way their parents did at home.

These three are heading back to the library today. We've also checked out "Mangia! Mangia!" (Italian) and "A Little Bit of Soul Food" in the past, and while finding Amazon links I see she's got "Hola! Jalapeno," "Chaat and Sweets" as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment